On youtube I found this series of videos comprising an interview with this grandmaster of the bass, where he talks about modern electric bass. There is such good advise in there, for bass players but also for guitar players that I decided to put it out here for you.
So things that particularly struck me is his way of approaching things analytically (like I teach) , how he uses classical music and scale patterns to get proficient, and in fact some of the things he showed on the bass are not to dissimilar to what one might be taught on the guitar by the likes of Paul Gilbert.
So, sit back with a coffee, a notebook and perhaps your bass to try things out.
Did you enjoy that as much as I did?
- Andy Derrick Jazz Quartet (coventryvibrations.com)
- 20 Questions: Ha Ha Tonka (Feature) (popmatters.com)
- Iiro Rantala: Lost Heroes – review (guardian.co.uk)
- PEAR FOLLOWS SAGE ADVICE FROM MILES DAVIS ON AUSPICIOUS DEBUT; NICK PIERONE AND RICK MILNE PRESENT A STRIKING PASTICHE ON extemp’ore (theurbanflux.wordpress.com)
- 50 great moments in jazz: Pat Metheny (guardian.co.uk)
- What is the difference between a jazz bass guitar and a bass guitar (wiki.answers.com)
- Chick Bass Players Hot, Studies Prove (raquelramosmusic.wordpress.com)
- Gallery | Pride South Florida presents Pridefest 2011 at Jaco Pastorius Park in Oakland Park (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Cape Town Jazz Festival Part 2! (eheheheh.wordpress.com)
- MoTO Sugar Britches: Jaco Pastorius: Unreleased “Teen Town” Live Video 1978 (notreble.com)
- The Other Men in My Life (planejaner.com)